Thursday, April 4, 2013

Moms are always right....

I had an experience, back in college, that I've been wanting to write down for a while now.  Finally getting around to it.

When I was a sophomore in college, living at King Henry, I decided to take a makeup class at BYU.  I have no idea why I decided to take it, other than the fact that I liked makeup and I knew my brother (who was a theater major) had taken a similar class and it intrigued me(or maybe I just needed more credits that semester? I'll never know).  What I do know is that I learned a very valuable lesson in this class. Well technically I had already been taught the lesson, by my awesome mom.  So I guess I just came to believe this life lesson, through an experience I had in this class.

Since this was a theater makeup class, almost everyone was a theater major, in my class.  I often felt out of place and never knew what to say when my classmates asked me why I was taking this class, but I survived the class and ended up really enjoying it. So each week we were given a new assignment- we then had to create the look on paper and then on a model or our-self and we were graded on it.  I remember we did a glamour look, an animal, and we learned how to put on wigs, and facial hair, lots of fun stuff like that.

Towards the end of the semester we had an assignment to come up with a drawing, on paper, it could be anything, but we would eventually have to replicate the drawing onto our face. The catch was, we would bring them to class and the teacher would hand them out, randomly, to each of us.  So basically we would be handed a drawing, that someone else had come up with, and then have to do this "look" on our-self. Sounds pretty easy, as long as no one came up with something crazy. Well I remember I kept my drawing super simple (like symmetrical shapes across the face), not wanting whoever got my paper to be overwhelmed and mad at me :) I'm so nice!

The day we were drawing them in class, there was one girl who was drawing the most complicated picture, it was a sunset picture, with the sunset reflecting on water.  I remember everyone making comments like "I hope I don't get that one!"  In my head I was thinking, "with my luck I will get that one!" and "why would she do that, it's so mean!"

Well, sure enough, on the day where the teachers randomly handed them out, I got that one! I was freaking out. I'm no artist, at all, I always asked my Dad to draw my art projects for school :) so I was thinking, how am I going to do this.  Not only was I going to be graded on how well I replicated the drawing, I also had a time limit.

It was one of those moments where you could just tell that everyone in the class was SO glad that they weren't me.

Somehow I did it! I just did the best that I could, took it piece by piece and I survived! At the end of the class we all sat in a circle and one by one the teacher went around to each of us.  She asked us to hold up the drawing we were given, show the class, and then the class was to comment on how well you replicated the drawing. Yikes! My worst nightmare, peer review. But everyone was super nice and said how well I did and the teachers agreed!

I remember walking out of that class with the biggest feeling of relief and as I walked through the back way of the HFAC past the ASB, towards my car I thought to myself, "You know what, my mom was right, I really can do anything I set my mind to!"  

When I was given the drawing, I thought in my head, "there is no way I can do this".  But then I decided I could do this, and I kept repeating those words (in my head) to myself as I worked on it.  I set my mind to it and I did it! Sounds so elementary but it's true, I accomplished something that day (and actually did a pretty decent job, in my opinion) that I never thought I could do.

Thanks Mom, you were right, I really can do anything I set my mind to!

Here it is in all its glory...

And a few other pics from that class...

The beard, my personal favorite!

For our final project we had to portray a character, I chose Nanny McPhee, I obviously went a little crazy on the eyebrows, I definitely could of trimmed those down a bit :)

4 comments:

Leigh said...

Jessica I love this post! So fun to read about your experience in that class and seeing those pictures! I love the message of this post, it's so great. You really can do whatever you set your mind to if you take it piece by piece, or day by day.

Unknown said...

Jess! i love this post. You are so right. Hard things are hard but lots of times I talk myself out of it instead of just going for it. Thanks for the encouragement girl! :)

Pamela and John said...

Jess, I loved this post! Thanks for sharing it so I could read it during one of my insomnia nights. :) Oh, and I agree with your mother. Especially in this high-tech world where most the information we need is at our fingertips.

Unknown said...

Jessica, you are so talented! I LOVE the pictures! You are getting me excited to see what you might do during Halloween?! haha