Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Never be as young as I was then

 
the weekend we spent in AZ, the weekend that I first realized I liked him more than a friend :)

we brushed our teeth together that weekend

A couple weeks ago P and I were having FHE and I decided that we should play a little get to know you game-the kind where you answer questions about each other.  We had a fun time and I wanted to record some things that we wrote down because someday I'm sure our kids will read this blog and want to know what we were like when we were at the age of 24 and 22.  Ha, probably not, but I think that when I'm older I'll want to look back and remember what I was like at 22 and what my husband was like at 24.  So to our future selves...how much have we changed?

List your 3 favorite things to do:
I wrote this about myself: Read, travel and spend time with P and family.
I wrote this about P: Exercise, eat and spend time with me and family.

P wrote this about himself: Exercise, watch movies and eat
P wrote this about me: Sleep, read, watch movies.He also added make headbands/flowers.

What are the 3 things you are most grateful for:
I wrote: Husband, gospel and a loving family
P wrote: Gospel, baby Jess and family

What is your favorite food:
I said my favorite food is desserts and P's favorite food is Mexican or Pastrami/meat.
P said that his favorite food is chicken and my favorite food is ice cream.

What is your favorite thing to spend your money on:
I said clothes and I said P's favorite thing to spend money on was a tie between food and nothing-or in other words, he doesn't like to spend money.
P said that his favorite thing to spend money on was nothing and that my favorite thing to spend money on was food.

That's all! It's always fun to see what your husband will say and what he thinks you like.  On some of the questions we were pretty spot on, but others we were far off. 

The other day I got a letter in the mail.  It was a letter that I had written to myself 5 years ago, right before I graduated High School.  My teacher (it was wither Mrs. Krum or Mrs. Horsley, I can't remember which) saved them and sent them to us.  I always wondered if teachers actually would remember to send those letters!  It was so fun to read what my goals were then and where I envisioned myself to be in 5 years.  I've pretty much accomplished what I wanted to and I'm right where I thought I would be except for a few things.  Here are the things (which I wrote in the letter) that I haven't accomplished:
I don't have kids--yet
I don't have a steady job that makes money--ha ha, P was laughing at that one, he wishes that I had a steady job that makes money, I sort of wish this too.
I haven't graduated from college--yet, but I would be graduating next week, if we hadn't moved to California, so I think I can say that I've accomplished this, it will just be happening a little late due to the husband and his internship. 
Graduated from dental hygiene school---changed my mind on that one a long time ago.
Teaching a high school history class---also changed my mind on that career a long time ago.

Here are the things (which I wrote in the letter) that I have accomplished:
Attended college (BYU) and achieved good grades there--the good grades part is debatable, generals were a killer at BYU, but once I got into my courses for Public Health I did great!
Met many new people--I've met a lot of awesome people at BYU and I've become friends with people from high school or from Centerville who I didn't even know during high school.
Grown closer to Megan--I definitely did this and I'm SO grateful I had the chance to room with her at King Henry.
Continue to exercise-- this one is also debatable :), but I think it's funny that I put this in my letter.
A temple marriage--check!
Staying close to family--check!
Happy and doing well--check!
Never forget fun high school memories--check!
Stayed in touch with Synthia, Candace and Jake--I wrote their last names in my letter, which I think is funny because did I really think that I would forget who they were in 5 short years?!  Jake was my high school boyfriend (and I thought we had broken up by this time) so it's also funny that I included him in the letter. But surprisingly we have stayed in contact, we're both happily married now but we're facebook friends so that should count as something!  And of course I'm still in touch with Synth and Candace!
Synth, Candace and Me, Graduation 2005

After P read my letter he said, "don't you wish you would have written more?"  And yes I do, I didn't even write a full page. We also talked about how fun it is to remember yourself from the old days and to read things that you once wrote.  Then he said this, "I guess that's why we should just keep a journal, then you could always look back and see how far you've come."   Great Idea!!  This blog has sort of become a journal for us (although we try to keep a more personal,  hand-written journal), it will be fun to eventually print out this blog and keep it as a journal. 

This was one of the last sentences that I wrote, and it's something that I hope to work on for the next five years of my life as well as for the rest of my life "I hope that I am a better person in five years, more caring, charitable, fun, loving, patient, honest and giving."  Here is to five more years of life and love!  Hmm.. I wonder where I'll be in the year 2015?

p.s.
The title of this post comes from a Kenny Chesney song that my mom and I both love.  I listened to this song a lot around the time that I was graduating so it will always remind me of my life then.  The song always made me kind of sad because it talks about chapters of our life closing, but I love the last verse because it reminds me that when a chapter of my life closes, another one opens and that I better grab each moment that I can!  Here's the last verse:
It's my life and it's sure fun
Another season of my life's begun
Another race I'm glad I get to run
Another chapter of my life I'm writin'
No I'm never gonna feel like this again
Time's rushin' by me like the wind
Gotta grab each moment that I can
Cause I'm never gonna feel like this again

No comments: