Monday, April 19, 2010

Buttons and Lizards


WARNING: This is yet another lengthy post, compiled of random stories, so read at your own risk and sorry if you're getting tired of my wordy posts.  I can't seem to cut them down, I guess I just get carried away and want to remember every detail!
Missionaries are strange, I've come to know this since I live with them.  We've had a couple of them rotate through while we've been living here and all of them have had such different personalities.  Some of them are quiet, some (well most) are polite, some are noisy, some like to sing...all the time, everywhere, some like to play Gma Jeanne's piano, some like to eat ALL of Gma Jeanne's Reece's Peanut Butter Cups that she puts out in a jar on the counter, some eat weird looking food, some eat Top Ramen for every meal, some are lazy, some like to clean.  It's been an interesting experience living with them, I've learned a few things about missionaries that I didn't know.  Most of the time we don't interact with them too much because they're out preaching the gospel like they're suppose to.  Sometimes though, like today, I experience some random encounters with them and it makes me laugh or want to punch them.  Okay, so there's only been one time when I wanted to punch them, it was today and I'll explain myself but first I'll try to preface it a little.

For the first 2 months that we were here, the elders that were living here were super quiet and hardly spoke to us at all.  We occasionally saw each other but barely spoke. They were nice, but they just kept to themselves, which is how it should be.  Well the new elders that we got are more friendly.  They like to talk and they're more, "in our space" so to speak.  For instance...

We have this elder, he's been living here for a while now.  He's very open, likes to talk, kind of a little weird, very nice but just almost too friendly.  For instance, sometimes he knocks on our door at night wanting to give us random stuff like a Walkman from the 90's or headphones.  I guess he doesn't understand that when our door is closed that usually means we're getting ready for bed, already in bed, etc.  I don't mind if he knocks on our door in the daytime but late at night?  I mean come on, that's pretty risky.  I'm usually in bed, not dressed in the proper attire to see missionaries, so I go and hide in the closet until P can see what he wants. 

Anyway, onto my story about what happened today.....

So I was sleeping, P had already left for work, it was approximately 8:40 a.m. and someone knocks on our bedroom door.  I thought about not answering it but then I was afraid it was Gma Jeanne and she needed something, so I get up and put on sweats and a jacket, grab my glasses and stumble to the door.  I open it, probably with my face looking confused like this, but with a lot more messy hair

 and there is the elder! 
Elder: Oh, sorry, did I wake you up?
Me: Ha ha, yeah but it's fine, do you need something? 
Elder: Well I was just wondering if this was your purple button (he holds out a purple button)
Me: (thinking in my head): Is he serious?  Did he really just wake me up to ask me if I had lost a purple button?!?!?!
Me: Um no I don't think this is my button
Elder: Oh, okay, well it's not mine because I don't have purple buttons, maybe it's Gma Jeanne's
Me: Um yeah you should check with Gma Jeanne. 
Elder: Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up.
Me: It's okay (as I shut the door)

Wow, was this whole button mystery really that pressing that you had to knock on my door at 8:40 in the morning and ask me?!  I mean I see the elders in the late morning and every night so couldn't he have waited until then?  I guess he was just dying to find the owner of the purple button!  Anyone who knows me well, knows that I'm not too happy when someone wakes me up, so at that moment I wanted to punch him.  I love my sleep, can you blame me?

An hour later, after I had fully gotten up and left my room a couples times, the other elder knocked on my door.  He asked me if I could download the pictures off of his camera and transfer them onto his jump drive, since he can't use the computer.  I did it and as I was transferring the pics to his jump drive I noticed a folder called girls.  Now this was just too tempting.  I opened it, and along with 3 pictures of 3 different girls there was a picture collage of girls!  About 8 different girls that he had arranged in a beautiful collage.  HAHAHA this was hilarious.

Now onto the lizard story....
A couple days ago I walked into Gma Jeanne's kitchen and saw a lizard scurry across the floor.  I freaked and thought hmm...how am I going to get this thing out of the house!  But before I could come up with some genius plan it ran under the counter, and disappeared. I've never really though that lizards were that scary, in fact, when I was in Africa I wasn't scared of them. We had a lizard in our shower and on the wall.  I was fine with it there.  I was even able to fall asleep knowing that it was on the wall next to me.  I even showered once while it was in the shower, so I don't know why it bothered me so much to see one in our kitchen, but it did. 

Then today I saw a lizard, (hopefully it's the same one?!) when I was leaving.  I pulled open the door and it shot toward me.  I shrieked and thought, not again!  I tried to get it to go out the door but instead it ran into the living room and under the couch.  AH!  So I left the house and tried not to imagine the lizard crawling up the stairs and into our bedroom. sick. 

Well luckily, I just went downstairs to cut up some cantaloupe and I saw the lizard again!  It was by the front door so I ran upstairs and asked the elders if they would catch it for me. It's their p-day so they're home.  Thankfully they did catch it for me and put it outside.  Please, please, stay outside where you belong lizard!!!!


In other news, we had a great weekend.  On friday night P and I rented New Moon, it was cheezy and really I'm just not a Twilight fan but we saw the first one so we felt like we had to see this one. We ate at Rubios, it was delicious.  Saturday we went to our cities  birthday party, it was quite the event with food, entertainment, booths, a car show.  Here's a picture of us and my favorite car 

Later that night we had a BBQ over at Kasee and Jason's apartment- thank goodness for them being our friends because we love to hang out over at their apartment and we love their company.  We had steak, grilled corn and chips and P made freshly squeezed strawberry lemonade. It was all very yummy!  P's friends, Brad and Nikki, stopped by to visit us on their way home from San Diego, they live in the Bay area.  We all hung out and then got Pinkberry.  
Love this one of Kasee and Jason

Brad and Nikki stayed the night with us and went to sacrament meeting with us the next day before they left for home.  It was fun to see them, P loves Brad, they are old buddies from high school and they roomed together at Snow College.  Another great weekend!  They go way too fast!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OH, BOY!
I know all about missionaries.
Once you get to know them they are nothing like when you see them at church or street.
I put up with them last few years and on.
I am sorry you had to wake up because of purple botton however they are nothing but teenagers and act like your younger brothers.
I hope that will help you understand better about missionaries.

Love Mama Phyllis

Lanenga Family said...

Hahaha! Sounds like loads of fun! Which is worse--missionary or lizard?! At least you have entertaining stories to share with the world! :)

Audrey Eells said...

Jess!! that is soooo funny! hahah man o man I would have been very mad at those missionaries. I hope he finds the owner of that button :)

Michelle said...

Wow! you guys are busy. I love the grandma jeanne, she sounds a lot like grandma wall. How fun.. Its good your writting this all down so you can remember it. Love You Guys!