Thursday, June 10, 2010

San Francisco!

P and I had the chance to visit San Francisco over Memorial Weekend and we had a blast.  My cousin Kristyn and her husband Aaron live right in San Fran and they were so kind to let us stay in their beautiful home.  Kristyn ended up not being there for the weekend so it was just us, Aaron, and for part of the time Aaron's friend David.  I'm not a huge planner when it comes to vacations so I didn't have anything planned for us to do but I had some ideas in my head.  I have been there before, with my family, so I knew some places that I wanted to show P, but they were just the touristy stuff like Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, etc.  We ended up only doing a few touristy things.  For the most part, Aaron show us around, which was really fun because he took us to some places that we wouldn't have gone to on our own because we just wouldn't have known about them!  We enjoyed having Aaron show us around and we especially enjoyed that most of our days were planned around food!  Just how I like it :)  Aaron knows some great places to eat so we'd basically plan out where we were going each day around what restaurant we were going to be eating at.

Day 1-  Friday, after P got off work, we drove to San Fran.  It took about 6 1/2 hours, we hit some traffic.  We got to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge on our way in, that was fun!  But also expensive since it's a toll road.

Day 2- We ate breakfast at a delicious place, they had the best fruit and very yummy pancakes.  We don't even care for pancakes that much, but these were awesome!  We walked around the Botanical Gardens at the Golden Gate Park.  We watched Aaron communicate with the squirrels. 

We drove around some super expensive neighborhoods and saw some awesome houses and walked along this beautiful path
Aaron also convinced us to eat some poison berries.  Well google claimed that they weren't poison (which is why we ate them) because apparently there are no poison berries that look like raspberries and these one looked like raspberries.  We didn't die though, or get sick,  so google must have been right.
 Us taking pictures of ourselves while Aaron was down picking his raspberries.


Then we stopped by the Golden Gate Bridge for a photo op. see above pics

Then we went to Sausalito, which was such a quaint town with shops and art galleries.  Here we ate the best hamburgers!  Later that night we picked up David from the airport and after taking a nap we headed to dinner.

We had tacos and the best corn that I've ever had in my life!  I cannot rave about it enough!!  It was corn on the cob, covered in a lime sauce then rolled in this Mexican cheese (it's called cotija cheese, it looks kind of like Parmasean cheese) and then lightly sprinkled with cayenne pepper. Seriously it was the best thing that I've ever eaten.  It is SOOOOO good.  I would visit San Fran again just for this corn.  I'm going to try and recreate it but I doubt I'll be able to :(

Day 3- Went to church.  Then we went to get ice cream at another famous place which I can't remember the name of.  They had really interesting flavors like salted caramel and balsamic vinegar.  Surprisingly, very yummy.  P liked it because it was thick and that's how he likes his.
Then we ventured downtown to Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli Square. It was so packed though!  So we didn't spend a whole lot of time there.
That night we ate at a very fancy restaurant called The House.  It was delicious and we were stuffed.
On the Pier

Chinatown
Day 4- Left to come home.  We decided to drive down Highway 1, which runs along the coast.  It was absolutely beautiful but it took forever!  We're both glad that we did it but we left San Fran at 10:30am and we didn't get home until 8:30.  The view was breathtaking though.  I just love the ocean, especially when it's paired with sand and huge rocks.  We ended up coming upon Hurst's Castle but we decided not to take a tour since it was already so late in the day.



I wish we would have stopped and taken more pictures because I didn't really get any spectacular ones. Oh well. 

It was pretty foggy in the morning. 
The End!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Fun trip! I love going to California for vacation because there is so much to do. So living there would be fun because you can go to lots of places. That corn sound awesome! Let us know if you figure out how to make it.

Chelsea said...

How fun Jess! I love San Francisco. You are so lucky you get to experience beautiful California. When do you leave? Soon? Good luck preparing for the move!

Erika said...

Yay! I'm glad you guys got to go to San Fran! It's such a fun place.
We miss you guys.. Have fun in Arkansas and please, please, keep in touch!!