I've been thinking a lot about the phrase "the grass is greener on the other side" lately.
You see, when we were living in Michigan, the thought of moving to California was so exciting!
And it seemed like our life would be better if we were there instead of where we were.
Funny thing is, once we got to California I began to have thoughts like "hmm I wonder what it would be like to be back in Michigan " or, "if I was still in Michigan I wouldn't have to be searching for jobs" or "life was easier (for me) when we were in Michigan."
Note: I wasn't working in Michigan so my days were free and relaxing.
I also had a conversation with one of my best friends and she was saying how exciting it must be to have another adventure (referring to our move to Cali) and that she was kind of beginning to long for an experience like ours (moving away from family, to a new city, etc). And although I agree with her, the adventures we have experienced in our marriage, in the form of moving to many new cities, have been exciting for us, but I remember saying to her, "isn't it funny that life sometimes seems greener on the other side of the fence."
Then I came across this quote that put my thoughts into perspective,
"The grass is greener where you water it."
I thought, wow! How true! And duh?!
So this is my new motto.

6 comments:
What a great quote and perspective! I need to remember that. One of the hardest parts of living our lives according to the Spirit is that Heavenly Father wants to put us in a place where we can grow. That usually means we have to do some growing :), which isn't comfortable! But it's so worth it! I have a friend who told me that we don't know how long we're going to live in a place, so we should live fully while we're there. That way when we leave, whenever that is, we won't have any regrets. You guys seem like you've taken that to heart and have had some awesome experiences! Glad you're enjoying Cali! It's fun to read about what's going on in your life Jess! Miss you!
Love that quote. I just had it as my gmail status last week! I hope you're enjoying Cali, I miss you!
I love this, thank you for sharing, it's just what I needed.
I love that thought. We love where we are and all the places and experiences we have had. But MANY days I dream of different things. I think we will spend our whole lives seeking to be content where we are. And it's okay to crave new places and challenges but we do have to be happy in the moment. It's just a balance! But I totally get where you are coming from, we miss you guys! I will definitely remember this saying on days when I don't want to go work either!! Love you girly!
Thanks for sharing! That's a great quote to remember.
Good message. Thanks for sharing. My mom used to tell me "Bloom where you're planted." I was one who always wanted to be somewhere else, onto the next phase of life, and this has stuck with me over the years as we've moved ALL OVER the place and had to make the best of different situations. Thanks for the perspective today. :) Hope you're having fun in California. I miss it like crazy!
Post a Comment