Monday, February 8, 2010

Favorite pastimes in Cali

Since P and I aren't enrolled in school right now(well actually he's taking some internship credit and a religion class) we can actually enjoy our nights with each other without having to worry about studying for school. Each night P comes home, the time at which he comes home is never predictable, last week he never made it home before 9 PM! He was getting home around 8:30pm or later, which is annoying to me, and I can only imagine how annoying it is to him since he's the one that's actually working. He's only an intern for crying out loud! I didn't expect him to have long hours like this. Last week was month end closing though, so I guess that explains the long hours. He usually he gets home around 6 or 6:30 and I think I got lucky twice when he came home around 5:30!
Anyway, after P gets home, he works out (which is the last thing on earth I would want to do after making spreadsheets all day and crunching numbers!), I finish up dinner and then we get ready for bed and read scriptures. We are usually in our bed around 9, 9:30 which seems so early, probably because it is for two young people! Then we watch our current favorite show-Arrested Development on P's laptop. There's something about watching a show/movie in bed on a laptop that I absolutely love. Side note: Melis(my cousin) and I used to room together and we'd watch movies on my laptop together, snuggled in her twin bed until I'd fall asleep, move over to my bed, and she'd continue watching. Good memories.
I bought P the first two seasons of Arrested Development on DVD for Christmas and then we bought the last season at Target cause it was on sale. Sadly, we finished the last episode last night. It took us a little over a month to finish 3 seasons. There's only 3 seasons because they got canceled but we hear there's a movie in the making and we hope this is true. If you haven't seen it and you're feeling like investing in a show that won't take up your whole life you should check out Arrested Development but start from the beginning because each of the episodes build on each other and in order to understand the jokes/humor we think you need to start from the beginning.

Another pastime and love that we've discovered in Cali is the dollar store! Especially the 99cents Only Store, it is amazing! It's like the Dollar Tree but it has lots more food products (bread, meat, frozen food) and produce! Yes produce, I'm talking 3 bunches of Romain lettuce for $1, a thing of 6 tomatoes for a buck, 10 lb bag of potatoes for a $1, 3 large cucumbers for $1 and lots more good finds. They also have super nice Belkin i-pod covers for a buck! My dad just paid $25 for one of these i-pod covers at the Mac store. I'm really going to miss this store when we move back to Utah. I'm pretty positive they don't have any of these stores in Utah.
On Saturday night P and I went out to dinner at Black Angus, we had a gift card to there, the Whitworth fam. gave it to us for our wedding but there aren't any of these restaurants in Utah so we thought we'd never get the chance to use it but luckily we moved here! After a huge dinner, full of calories, (they have a menu dedicated to informing their their customers about the calories, saturated fat and sodium in each of their meals, WOW, no wonder Americans are so over weight, the potato skin appetizer alone had over 1200 calories!) we went to the Dollar Tree store to pick up a few items and just because we enjoy walking up and down each of their aisles. We ended up with the following items:
J-basting spatula, ground cinnamon, Valentine's day cards, 500 piece puzzle, (Jeanne has inspired me to start doing puzzles!)
P-banana chips, oysters in sunflower oil(yuck!), magic cards (Jobe, from arrested developement inspired him to try magic!)
I don't really know what the point of this post was, but if you're in need of some cheap fun and in the mood to find some good deals, head to your local Dollar Store and I'm sure you won't be disappointed! I never am!

1 comment:

The Apron Gal said...

agreed! love the dollar stores and our trips there together :)